Location & Area Coverage:
- Latitude 6 22 and 6 52
- Longitude, 2 42 and 3 42 E
- Land Area -3, 577 Square Kilometers.
- Lagoons and waterways - 22% landmass
- Occupying only about 0.4% of Nigeria's landmass of 923, 773 sq. km
- Atlantic Ocean (South),
- Ogun State (North and East)
- Stretches over 180 kilometres along the Guinea Coast of the Bight of Benin on the Atlantic Ocean
Pre-independence, it was a colony with estimated population of 0.27 million in 1952. In 1967, it became a state and between 1967 and 1973 the population increased to 2.47 Million. Today, according to Lagos State bureau of Statistics (LBS) the population is put at over 22.5 million (Lagos State Population Projection 2014) with growth rate put at 3.2% per annum.
United Nation projection puts Lagos at 24.5m by 2015 at a growth rate of 6-8% per Annum, making her the 3rd Largest Mega City in the World.
Important Landmarks and Tourist Destinations:
Lagos City Hall, Tinubu Square, Lekki Free Trade Zone, Freedom Park, First Storey Building in Nigeria and Point of No Return in Badagry, Lekki - Ikoyi Cable - Stay Bridge, Muritala Muhammend International Airport 1 & 2, Lagos State Television (LTV), Apapa / Tin can Island Sea Port, Eko Atlantic City, amongst others.
Commercial, Financial and Business hub of Nigeria and Sub-Sahara Africa.