Frequently Asked Questions -- Planning Permit
Planning is the system by which the use and development of land is managed for the benefit of all community. The overall aim of the system is to ensure a balance between enabling development to take place while at the same conserving and protecting the environment and local amenities. The idea is to create better and balanced Environment for people to live, work, play, recreate and move around with at most ease.
Planning is important because it directly affect our physical environment in so doing doing influencing our quality of life and general well- being. Planning shapes our environment and the way we live and work, so there are many advantages to getting involved in the preparation of plans for the area and considering planning application.
Development is an improvement or change on land such as carrying out of any building, mining or other operation in, on, over or under any land or the making of any material change in the use of any land, building, structure or conversion of Land, building structure from its established or approved use.
Planning permit under section 102 of the Lagos state Urban and Regional Planning Development law 2010 means an approval or asset given for the time being to a development and includes Layouts or Sub-Division Plan, building control authorization given at construction and post- construction stage.
a. New development
b. Re- development
e. Revalidation (after expiration of 2 years of obtaining permits without commencement of construction)
- To ensure that structures get built at the right place
- it helps to balance the development the state needs such as new homes, factories, offices, schools , place worship, health facilities, and transportation routes.
- To ensure that the development and growth are Environment sustainable, meeting the needs of the present without affecting of the future generation to meet their own needs.
The District Officer of the district Town Planning office grants permits within their areas of jurisdiction with clearance from and concurrence approval of the General Manager, Permanent secretary, Hon. Commissioner for MPP & UD and His Excellency, the Governor , where applicable.
A registered professional in the building industry can submit such application (such as Town Planner, Architect, and Engineer, Builders, Estate surveyor / Valuer land surveyor and quantity surveyor)
At the nearest District Office where the subject site of the proposed development is situated.
Table 1: Location of District Offices:-
S/N NAMES OF DISTRICT OFFICES LOCATION
1. Agbado/Ipaja : Jakande Housing Estate beside LBIC, Abesan Estate
2. Agege: Agege LG secretariat, Stadium Road, Agege
3. Alimosho: Jakande Housing Estate beside LBIC, Abesan Estate
4. Amu-Odofin: NTDA Building, Jakande Housing Estate, Mile 2
5. Apapa: Apapa LG Council
6. Badagry: PWD (work yard) Off Hospital Rd, GRA Badagry
7. Epe: Water Works Rd, Epe
8. Eko: 64 Freeman Street Lagos island East Local Council Development Area
9. Eti- Osa: Km 20 Lekki –Epe Exp. Way Onigbongbo Lay. Opp Akin Sateru Farm Ikota, Eti- Osa
10. Ibeju- Lekki: Km 20 Lekki –Epe Exp. Way Onigbongbo Lay. Opp Akin Sateru Farm Ikota, Eti- Osa
11. Ikeja: Block 20, Old Secretariat, Oba Akinjobi Street
12. Ikorodu: Beach Rd, Opp. General Hospital, Ikorodu
13. Ikoyi V/I: Km 20 Lekki –Epe Exp. Way Onigbongbo Lay. Opp Akin Sateru Farm Ikota, Eti- Osa
14. Kosofe: LAWMA Yard, Ogudu Rd, Ogudu
15. Mushin: 6 Town planning way, IIupeju
16. Ojo: Ojo LG Secretariat
17. Oshodi / Isolo: Along Aimasiko Street, Off Afariogun Street, Mafofuku - Oshodi
18. Shomolu: 6 Town planning way, IIupeju
19 Surulere: Surulere LG Sect. Onile -Ogogoro, surulere, Lagos
20. Yaba: 168 Herbert Macaulay Rd, Adekunle, Yaba, Lagos
The following documents are required for the processing of planning permit:
10.1 Drawings: Drawings prepared must be in A3 paper size. Hard and Soft copy of the following set of drawings must be submitted:
i. 5 sets of architectural drawing signed and sealed by ARCON registered Architect
ii. 5 sets of structural drawings (including letters of supervision/structural stability and calculation sheet) signed and sealed by a COREN registered structural Engineer. (Mechanical and Electrical drawings are also mandatory for some categories of development Proposals.
iii. Report of soil tests are needed for Structures above two floors and areas with poor sub soil.
10.2 Title Documents:
i. Evidence of Land Ownership/Title Document duly certified by land Bureau which could be:
a. Certificate of occupancy/ land Certificate.
b. Governor Consent to Lease or Assignment/Land Conveyance/ any other instrument recognized by Law.
ii. 1 sum print copy of survey plan.
iii. Evidence of payment of Land use charge or ground rent where applicable.
10.3 Tax Clearance: Evidence of payment of Company and personal Income tax viz;
i. For company and Corporate bodies.
a. Company tax clearance Certificate (CTC)
b. e-tax certificate for two (2) Directors;
c. Evidence of P.A.Y.E returns; and
ii. For Individuals, current e-tax clearance certificate.
10.4 Clearance letters:
i. Fire Service report in case of Application for specific commercial properties, (petrol/Gas Filling Stations and High rise buildings)
ii. Directorate of Petroleum resources Report (DPR) for petrol and Gas filling Stations.
iii. Letters of clearance from the following Government Agencies duly certified. (Where applicable) there include:
a. Land Use and Allocation Directorate All state Land and Government Schemes.
b. Land Service Department for Governor’s Consent and subsequent transaction on Landed Properties.
c. Ministry of Transportation.
I. Metro line clearance - in case of properties around the proposed metro line alignment.
ii. Traffic Impact Assessment Clearance - for traffic generating development
d. Office of the Drainage, Ministry of Environment applications within drainage alignment, gorge, floor plains, rivers / water bodies, lagoon, shore line etc
e. Lagos State Urban Renewal Authority applications which falls within Urban Renewal Scheme Areas
f. Lagos State Surveyor General's Office applications that fall within acquisition, revocation, and excision Areas.
g. New Towns Development Authority letter of confirmation of allocation and capital development contribution.
10.5. Certificate of Incorporation of Company ( where applicable)
10.6. 2 copies of Physical Planning Technical Report (where applicable)
Apply through e-planning permit platform(Log on to: www.lagosepp.com.ng).
E- Planning Permit is the new building permit software currently being test run in some District Offices across Lagos state . it is aimed at making developing permits easier and faster by use of computer systems which evaluate and process building applications.